Leather gloves have been around for centuries and typically an accessory that has become a necessity. In winter, we use them primarily to protect our hands and its digits. Whether it is for the cold wind or if you are a stylish person, they are a fashion accessory. Whatever is the reason why you have them or are thinking of buying some peccary leather gloves, we can assure you they are an investment and we’ll tell you how to buy them here.
1. Know Your Measurements
Peccary leather gloves adjust to your hand within a few hours of wearing them. Flexibility exists horizontally but not vertically. Therefore, it’s very important for the fingers to have enough length, a couple of millimeters extra on the tip of the fingers. Too short finger measurement may cause breakage in the sewing or tearing of the leather.
The sizing of the peccary leather gloves is based on inches, one inch corresponds about 2,5 centimeters. The size is measured snugly around the knuckles -which is the widest part of the hand – excluding the thumb.
How To Measure Your Hand
Get a measuring tape based on centimeters and get the right measure by dividing the result by 2,5. For example, if the circumference of your hand is 18,5 cm, divided by 2,5 it makes 7,5 which means your size is 7-7,5. Wearing the glove, grab it from the outer side of the palm and give it a little stretch. When the glove stretches just a couple of millimeters the fit is just right.
However, all hands are unique, and one hand is always slightly larger than the other. It is, therefore, better to measure the size of the hand that is used most, because the muscles are usually bigger in that hand. Our hands also vary in shapes; some are narrow with long fingers, some wide with short fingers or a combination of these.
2. Use Different Pairs Of Gloves
When our peccary gloves get damp or dirty they are in need of special care and if not done properly they will get damaged. Also, the constant wear of one pair of gloves is never wise. You have to give them some rest from time to time. We recommend altering with a second pair if you use them regularly. In the case you spilled something, or they just get damp because of the weather, you will give that pair some time to dry and prevent a faster wear out.
If you can, try to build up a smart peccary glove collection for various temperatures and occasions. Unlined gloves are perfect for early fall and spring. Alpaca lined are good for colder days and winter. By the way, when your lining wears out, replace it (this is possible and you can bring it to our store for repairs). The leather, however, may hold for a lifetime if you care for it properly.
3. Put On And Take Off Your Peccary Leather Gloves To Know Is The Right Size
When putting on your peccary gloves, pull them gently over the hand by pulling the palm and the back of the glove alternately down towards the wrist. Avoid pushing down between the fingers.
When trying on a pair of gloves for the first time, bend the hand upwards and make sure you get a small fold over the knuckles. Then you know the size is correct. When you take off your gloves start by gently pulling each finger and then all fingers at the same time.
4. How To Care For Your Peccary Gloves
If your peccary leather gloves become dirty then this is how you clean them:
- First, put them on and soak them under running lukewarm water or in a bowl.
- Be careful not to dry out the leather and use a mild soap with natural fat.
- Rub the soap into your gloves and rinse under running water making sure all the soap is gone from your gloves.
- Now take them off carefully.
- After they are cleaned, gently squeeze out the remaining water and DO NOT twist your gloves because that would damage them.
- Now let them dry out in a flat surface preferably at room temperature.
- Avoid any kind of heat source as this will damage the leather.
- Try to reshape them a bit in order to get back the original fit.
- Your gloves will take many hours to dry and during this time, make sure to put them on a few times and reshape them on your hands while they dry.
- Try to avoid water whenever you can. If a darker stain appears from being wet, gently rub in some talcum powder and the stain will most likely fade.
5. Keep The Fitting Of Your Peccary Gloves By Stretching Them
The glove cutter determines the elasticity of each glove, to ensure a perfect fit. However, after a period of use, it is normal for the glove to widen over the hand. To restore the original fit, simply stretch the glove over the edge of a table, by just holding the fingertips with one hand and the cuff opening with the other. Then gently stretch the back of the glove against the table.
For your fingers and thumb stretch each finger from the bottom and work your way to the tip, ideally with four or five strokes per finger. By doing so, the elasticity of the leather will return to the original shape.